Thursday, November 4, 2010

5 Things I Love About Rainy Days

As I was sitting here on my couch, struggling to come up with a topic for today's post, I closed my eyes to clear my mind as I attempted to draw inspiration. Then, my ears just barely caught the faint pitter-patter of the rain outside being drowned out by whatever sit-com re-run happened to be on the television. Perfect! Rainy days, although they present some complications, are among my favorite type of day, for many reasons.

1. Cute Umbrellas



Rainy days, although they may seem dull, monotone, or drab, can be given a splash of life through a boldly colored or patterned umbrella. There's such a variety of colors, patterns, and designs of umbrella available that you never have to feel obligated to tote around a plain black generic print, which is sadly the only kind I possess at the moment. I love the bubble style umbrella, which is quite popular in Japan, and the pagoda style umbrella, which has a very feminine and dainty feel to it. A few that I'm currently in love with are the Luxury White Pagoda, the Tiffany - Dragonfly, the Gerbera, and the Tiffany - Butterfly.

2. Hot Beverages



Nothing quite warms me up on a cold, rainy day like a nice, warm beverage. And outside of snowy days, which are infrequent here in the South, a cold rainy day is the best time indulge in one of these decadent beverages. Although some may enjoy a hot tea, there is no better choice than a hot chocolate or coffee. I'm not sure whether it's the taste of the sweet, warm liquid, the mouth-watering aroma that fills the apartment, or the warmth of the mug in my hand which I enjoy most. The best hot chocolate I've ever had was Seattle's Best Coffee's Chocolate Trio. My taste buds were overwhelmed by the sensation that it is. I brew my own coffee at the apartment most of the time, and my two favorites to use are Dunkin' Donuts French Vanilla and Folgers Gourmet Coffee Caramel Drizzle. Aside from  my own love of these two blends, I have converted two friends who swore they would never like coffee into addicts who rely on a cup through these two blends. Be warned though, I like my coffee incredibly sweet so these flavors aren't for those who prefer a bitter cup.

3. Loose Dresses & Cardigans



This is my go-to outfit for a rainy day. There's enough to worry about on a rainy day (keeping dry, not slipping on wet leaves) that a comfortable, but cute, outfit is a must. For me, it doesn't get much comfortable than a loose dress that is form-fitting in the right spots to give shape. Since the weather has gotten nippy, a layered cardigan over the dress keeps you warm while pulling the outfit together. Other accessories that I like to include are a large belt cinched over the cardigan and dress, rain boots, and leggings if it's cold enough.

4. Curling Up with a Good Book



While sipping my coffee, the best accessory is a good book to loose myself in. Now that I'm in college, I hardly have the time to do my mandatory readings for class, much less any reading for myself. However, that all changes on a rainy day. I search my bookshelves for a book that speaks to me, either through the title or the cover, and loose myself in another world. I'm an avid reader with tastes ranging from classics to historical fiction to young adult to manga. Currently, I'm reading Ann Brashares' The Last Summer (of You and Me). I picked it up for $1 at the Dollar Store near my apartment, and I'm quite pleased with my purchase. 

5.  Watching a Chick Flick



As a woman and self-described girly-girl, I feel no shame in admitting my love for chick flicks. I am not denying the unrealistic portrayals of love and romance in most of these films, however, the good feeling you get from watching them, laughing and crying and indulging in being a woman, are worth the disillusionment we face after we plunge ourselves into for the duration of the films. My personal favorites include The Notebook, A Walk to Remember, Pride & Prejudice, He's Just Not That Into You, The Holiday, Legally Blonde, and The Time Traveler's Wife. While not all of these are definite chick flicks, they are more romance oriented than most men prefer. 

On another unrelated note, last night I made a dream-catcher with my roommate, Ashleigh. Being the lover of learning I am, I was really fascinated by the culture behind these decorations. According to the Ojibwa, the dream-catcher will allow good dreams to pass through while catching bad dreams. The good dreams will then slide down the feathers and into the sleeper. While I love arts and crafts, I was never encouraged to participate in them as a child and I'm not very good. Nonetheless, I had fun and enjoyed the learning experience. My dream-catcher is purple with pink and white feathers and blue, purple, pink, and white beads. Instead of posting my embarrassing attempt at being creative online (which would require me to have a working camera), instead, enjoy this one:






2 comments:

  1. I thought I left a post for this days ago...apparently it didn't take. :P

    Anyway, your blog is very cute. I like it! I've added it to my blogroll. Please keep those posts coming! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed it!
    If you ever have any suggestions, or topics for Friday Favorites, feel free to leave a comment!

    -Ashley

    ReplyDelete