Tuesday, November 9, 2010

One Week Down

This post, while, like my last post, isn't much due to my immersion in Sims 3, is my 7th which means I've successfully kept up my promise to post everyday for one week now. Granted, my procrastinating habits and writer's block have got the best of me and sometimes it will take me three hours to come up with a topic or I'll wait, as I did tonight, until after 11:00 to get started. However, I feel that this is progress. Writing my blog, unlike studying or working out, is one promise I've kept to myself. Maybe I'll use this blog to help me control my study and gym habits by promising to blog about my lack of doing so and admitting defeat publicly.

Today is also important for me because in exactly one week my mom will undergo surgery to remove a tumor. Not only am I incredibly worried about her, but I discovered that my grandmother had a tumor of the same kind and they're fairly positive that genetics play a huge role. With my luck, I've inherited it and, in about twenty years, I'll be undergoing the same surgery. However, I will say that I am incredibly grateful for the fact that the tumor is benign and no complications are expected. I'm grateful that my mother has a boyfriend who is willing to help her through the recovery. I'm grateful my grandparents, no matter what they may be going through, are still there for me, my siblings, and my mother. I'm grateful that my pets are taken care of and always waiting for me when I return. Which is why I am both excited and reluctant to go home next Monday and Tuesday. I'm so glad I'll get to see all of my family, friends, and pets, but I'm not looking forward to seeing how they've changed. As my grandparents and pets age, I have begun to accept the fact that the end of our time together is quickly approaching and that realization is no more apparent to me than when I come home after being away at NCSU for several months. This will be my second visit home of the semester, which, for me, is very odd. Last year I went home nearly every weekend. However, with more classwork and an apartment to take care of and enjoy, I haven't found myself going home as much.

All of that being said, I can't wait to go with Megan and Olivia to Tokyo Diner, gorge on a hibachi chicken, and fall asleep with my Tiger.


3 comments:

  1. I can't wait for you to come home either!!! Megan said that Mom said that she didn't want us all just sitting there for hours while she got her surgery so she wants David to take us out to eat. And I know your grandparents will be really excited to see you. As well as your kitties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley- I can't express enough how I love reading what you post. You have a great writer's voice =]

    I'll be praying and thinking of your family as your mom goes through her surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liv - Oh yes. We're definitely going to Tokyo Diner, Dos Amigos, or maybe both. I'm dieting this weekend to make room for it!

    Velvet- I'm glad you enjoy! I think I'm finally starting to find my writer's voice. The first post was more of what I was used to writing and less of my personal style. Thanks for keeping my family in your thoughts and prayers!

    I miss you both!

    ReplyDelete