Saturday, November 6, 2010

My Past (and Current) Video Game Obsessions

I'll admit that I have several "geeky" or "nerdy" habits. However, I don't really care for labels and actively enjoy them. One habit I developed first as a tomboy in 3rd grade that I continue to go through spells of is my love of video gaming. Although I don't own a massive collection, in fact, I hardly own any after going through a spell this summer where I sold off most, the ones I do own have remained my favorites for years. I can loose myself in a game for hours upon hours, never getting bored, and forgetting the world around me. That's partly why I chose to sell my games; I knew this semester I would have a heavier courseload than in previous semesters and I wanted to give schoolwork my full attention. However, I am now regretting my decision and currently very close to splurging on repurchasing some favorites. Over the years, I have had 3 games which I would go so far as to call an "obsession".

1st Obsession:



Yes, I was a Pokemon fanatic as a child. From the cards, to the toys given out at Burger King, to the video games, I had it all. Pokemon Blue was my first video game ever, and therefore, my first obsession. Blue introduced me to the legendary Pokemon series and I've been an avid fan ever since. I got the game as a reward for making straight A's in 3rd grade, but then had to wait to buy a Gameboy to play it on. I also got a Nintendo 64 and Pokemon Stadium. The entire summer after my 3rd grade, my siblings and I did little more than play video games. My cousins who would visit also shared our love, and whenever we got to see each other, the five of us would sit down and write detailed descriptions of our own version of the game, from the new Pokemon, to the new cities and towns. Although we don't share the same fantasies of creating our own games, we still, as college students, eagerly anticipate the new games and buy the new releases only to disappear to the world for the next week as we hurriedly defeat the game. 

2nd Obsession:



I'm not quite sure the first time I bought a version of this game, but I'm fairly certain it was around my last year of middle school or my first in high school, and it was for the Nintendo Gamecube. It may seem odd for me to have such a love of a game which is centered around farming, seeing as I was raised on a farm and have wanted to escape to the city for my entire life. However, the farm I lived on was agricultural and the aspect of the game I loved most was the ranching. Nothing made me happier than to breed a cow and then raise the calf. I took such pride in earning more hearts with my animals. I no longer have any Harvest Moon games, they were among the first to go in  my sales this summer; however, now that Ashleigh is able to connect her Gamecube and Playstation to the second television set, I plan on re-acquiring several of this series as soon as possible.

3rd, Most Current, Obsession:



The Sims has set the standards for God-style gameplay. I had always wanted to try this game, and after receiving The Urbz with my Nintendo DS for Christmas in 2005, I decided to give it more research. Finally, after Christmas in 2006, I took my money and purchased The Sims 2 along with the Open for Business and Pets expansion packs. After spending many sleepless nights in front of my computer screen, begging for carpel tunnel, watching the loading screen, and perfecting my legacy gameplay, I eventually made the decision to sell all my Sims 2 and Sims 3 belongings. However, just like with Harvest Moon, it was a decision soon regretted. Even as I sit here, typing this entry, I have another window open with Amazon pulled up and The Sims 3 direct download tempting me. I'm going to give in. As much as I've fought it these past months, and as much as I realize that I have many things I should be saving my money for, there's a certain joy that comes from watching your Sim grow, live, have a family, and eventually pass on, only to continue the story with a child you helped grow. Eerily similar to life, however, much easier to control and if you mess up, it's easily fixed with a simple cheat.




2 comments:

  1. Lol Ashley!!! Oh man all of your video game obsessions I had too! xD I had the red version of Pokemon though ^_^ and for Harvest Moon I loved the Playstation version because that was one of the first games that let you court the girls and have a baby. Sims - my character got robbed on my first gameplay lmao but it was fun!

    Ashley, we(your readers) love your so called nerdiness, I think it's great. Really loving your entry girl, keep writing!!!

    -Lily

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading Lily :) At one point I had every single Pokemon game! Though my brother and I would usually pick one of the new releases so we could have access to all the Pokemon among the two of us. Oh my goodness! I never had a Sim get robbed but once, and it scared me to death! Haha. I actually am installing it now and will probably start a legacy (which I may blog about).

    Ash

    ReplyDelete