Thursday, November 11, 2010

Infected with Bibliophilia

I think it's safe for me to describe myself as being a bibliophile. I currently have two bookshelves which are completely full of books, most of which I've read, and I still have hundreds of others currently sitting in my wish list on Amazon and neither the money to spend on them, the time to read them, or the space to store them. Not until recently did I learn how to properly store books, keeping them out of sunlight, and how to always search for a first edition or first printing. While most of my books that I had bought in the past are still nice books, as a collector they're not worth anything. I'd love to replace them with a better version of themselves but will have to wait until I'm no longer a college student and actually earning a living. Until then, I'll have to make sure to do better with my future books.



I had some time today that I decided would be best spent by actually finishing a book for the first time since I've entered college and it was well worth it. Any book which can move me emotionally I feel is worth the investment. This one was even more worth it, because I got such a good deal. I found this book in the Dollar Store and got it for slightly less than $1. Even though the foreshadowing was so strong and evident I figured out the major plot twists before they happened, I still found myself crying as the book ended. It got me thinking about death and how I'm going to deal with it when those around me die. As my grandparents get older and their health declines, I try to suppress the fact that I'm going to one day come home and them not be there. My pets too. I have nearly ten cats back home. Of those ten, Bubba is almost 15 years old and the "kittens": Tiger, Molly, Pumpkin, and Midnight, are all almost 12 years old. I hate to acknowledge the fact that these beloved friends who have been members of my family for the majority of my life will soon be leaving me. It's something that sends me to tears just thinking about it.



And as much as I will miss my beloved friends, I have plenty of others to keep me occupied. Though they will never be replaced, I now have Sebastian with me at college and try to devote as much time as possible to making that kitten feel happy and loved. Sebastian was a stray kitten my grandmother found and is one of the most unique cats I've ever had. The first, and most notable, characteristic about Sebastian is his crossed eye. I thought he was sick at first but found out he's fine, he just happens to have a crossed eye. I think it must be genetic too, because his sister also has a crossed eye. The second thing about Sebastian is he abuses me. I've never had a kitten get so much pleasure from shredding my arms and legs to bloody stubs. I feel like I'm always walking into class with a raw wound from defending myself as I go to leave. I think this is partially because Sebastian has been confined to my bedroom, due to unreasonable roommates. I signed a lease for a pet friendly apartment and yet I've had many fights about having Sebastian there. Ashleigh and I moved in first, we knew one of us would have a cat, and told my roommates. Apparently, like Ashleigh says frequently, we must be invisible because they claimed to have never been told that. Although I appreciate the fact that they have to look out for themselves and their health, that's not my concern. My most important job is to provide Sebastian with the loving and nurturing environment he needs as a kitten because I hope to have him for at least 15 more years.


Meet Sebastian! And my terrible glasses which don't have anti-glare...






No comments:

Post a Comment