Friday, November 5, 2010

Friday Favorites #1

For the time being, and with no other ideas springing to mind, I'm going to establish a weekly topic of Friday Favorites. With this topic being broad, each week's post will likely be very different from the previous week's. From my favorites in general, to specific favorites from the previous week, to even momentary favorites I come up with spontaneously while writing, all will be included. As my favorites change, I may post an updated version of a favorite I had covered before. Usually I'll try to include a theme, but as the decision to create this was a spontaneous and unplanned one, which is very unusual  for me, this post has no unifying concept. I just hope it allows you, the reader, to get to know me and my interests a little better.

My Favorite Purchase of the Week



The Story of Saiunkoku by Yukino Sai. I have been waiting for this manga to be released since I fell in love with the anime in June 2010. The story is so detailed, the characters so developed, and the graphics so beautiful that I marathoned the entire 39 episodes of the 1st season, which is currently the only season released in the United States, over the course of two days. For those unfamiliar with this series, the setting is a world resembling ancient China. Shurei Hong (or Kou Shuurei depending on the translation) is of noble birth, however, because she is a woman is unable to work as a civil servant. However, when the Emperor Ryuki refuses to do his job, Shurei is asked to enter the imperial palace as a royal consort and encourage Ryuki to work. The story soon takes a turn from this intial description as many secondary characters are introduced and other areas of the Saiunkoku world explored, but Shurei's dreams and Ryuki's love of Shurei are always among the central themes. Although it's one of my personal favorites, this story or anime isn't for everybody though. I only recommend it to those who love romance, historical, fantasy oriented manga/anime. 


My Favorite Actress



Ever since I fell off my bed laughing at her epic portrayal of a "mean girl", Rachel McAdams has held the position of my favorite actress. From being the "queen bee", to the wife of a man who spontaneously travels through time, McAdams gives her character a sense of realism. Regardless of the unrealistic events occurring in the movie, the emotions and behavior McAdams expresses are on target and I always find myself crying or laughing along with her. Just knowing that she's cast in a movie is enough to make me see it. Which is why I can't wait for Morning Glory to be released a week from today, November 12th, 2010. I'm not quite sure what it's about but if McAdams is in it then I'm sure I won't hate it. Whether or not you're a McAdams fan, these movies are all wonderful: Mean Girls, The Wedding Crashers, The Notebook, and The Time Traveler's Wife

My Favorite Food to Cook When I Don't Want a Full Meal



What do I do for a quick study snack? Grilled cheese. A quick dinner when I don't know what else to eat? Grilled cheese. My bread and cheese expire tomorrow? Grilled cheese. No matter the circumstances, a grilled cheese is always appropriate to eat. I, having relied on my family for cooking, never really learned to make a grilled cheese until these past few months. Sometimes I'll be generous enough to grace my roommate and guests with one of my special grilled cheese sandwiches. I have to admit, I don't do anything special. However, they just seem to come out better than many I've tried before. For those of you interested, or those of you who don't know how to make one, the following is my "recipe" for a grilled cheese.

Ingredients:

2 Slices of bread (I prefer Nature's Own Butter Bread)
2 Slices of sliced American Cheese 
Non-Stick Spray (for an extra kick, and what I use, get a butter flavored brand)

Instructions:

Spray a frying pan with the non-stick spray and turn on one of the burners on the oven. While the burner is heating, butter one side of each of the pieces of bread. Place the bread, buttered side down, into the frying pan. On the non-buttered side on top. place a slice of cheese on each piece of bread. Place the frying pan on the burner. As it heats and the cheese begins to melt, flip one slice of bread onto the other, with both sides with the cheese touching. Continue flipping the sandwich until each side is the desired level of golden brown. Enjoy!








2 comments:

  1. Aw I love your favorites of this week! Especially Rachel McAdams because I love her acting! (and she's gorgeous xD) Grilled chesse? Heck yes you make a great one! I'm one of the lucky people you graced it with lol

    This blog really gives me a feeling of getting to know you better, I love this concept- even though it is unplanned =) I actually think I like it because of that reason.

    Keep writing! I love reading your stuff, your description and choice of words are amazing ^_^

    -Lily T.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the comment Lily! If you ever have any favorites of mine you'd like to know about, then please let me know!! I'd love to take questions instead of just coming up with my own.

    Lily, you have no idea what a confidence booster you are.

    Thanks for being such a wonderful friend!
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete