Sunday, November 7, 2010

Life in the Dorms: Health

At lack of a better topic, or one that semi-relates to anything that's currently going on in my life now, I have decided to talk about my personal experience living in the dorms last year, this time focusing on health. As many know, my health has never been great, but I've always been able to recover fairly well. Last year, however, I nearly gave up in defeat. For some reason, I was never able to get a handle on my health and spent the better part of the year on medication or at the Student Health Center (SHC).



My first semester at NCSU was going great...for about a week and a half that is. I lived at University Towers last year, and although many love this "party dorm", it wasn't for me, for many reasons other than my bad health. The day after the well-known University Towers Foam Party, I was taking a nap and woke to discover I had several red, sore spots on my hip. Brushing it aside as just an indention formed while I slept funny, I went back to sleep. The next morning, I had several new red, swollen sores and the originals I had were now swollen and bruised and so painful I could hardly walk. However, I continued to brush it aside, threw on a skirt, and hobbled to class. About halfway through my 2 1/2 hour class, I could tell I had a fever. When I returned from class, my roommate Allie helped me to the SHC where the evening nurse examined my sores and took my temperature. After her examination and realization that my fever was 104+ degrees, she pulled out a map to the hospital and recommended I take medicine as soon as possible. After having my leg examined the next day, it was determined to be spider bites, most likely a brown recluse, which was biting in response to being pressed between my pants and leg. I hate needles with a passion, as well as the veiny parts of my body, and I was in so much pain I willingly let the doctors test my blood count levels to determine what was going on.

Not even a month later, a week after going to the beach with Allie, I contracted the H1N1 flu. Although I had already had this strain before, I suppose my immune system was weak because of the spider, and I spent several miserable days in bed. I had to get more blood tests done and more medicine.

Other than an occasional runny nose or cough, the next few months passed without much to tell. However, in January...or possibly February, I got sick again. Allie had the flu, so the doctors and I assumed that was what is was as well. She went home on a Monday, I stuck around until Thursday and was feeling slightly better so I decided to go home for the weekend. I was well enough to make the four hour drive and still felt fine. The next morning, I woke up with a 104 fever and felt worse than before. On top of that, a big snowstorm was coming in and my house is so far from the hospital, my mom felt it was best to bring me back to NCSU where I would be closer to medical attention. Upon getting back, I go to the health center yet again where I have been made a high priority case and have more blood work done and even some chest x-rays taken. My results are uncertain, definitely not the flu, and most likely viral meningitis. Viral meningitis, unlike the bacterial strain, cannot be prevented with a vaccine. I was lucky though that the viral strain is less likely to be fatal.



Eventually I recovered, after more medication, but things quickly got worse. Spring allergies hit harder and earlier than in previous years because of all the snow last winter. My allergies were so bad, my eyes would swell shut on the way to class. Allergies are a trigger to my asthma, which came back with a violent force, and I was living off of anti-histamines and my inhaler.

As the end of April came, my allergies were finally getting under control and I decided to go play tennis with Allie and my suitemate, Nikki. Everything was going fine, until I jumped for the ball. I came down wrong and my ankle cracked as it caved inward. I've had several sprains in my life, so initially I thought this would be fine. I was wrong. Allie carried me back to the dorm and helped me to our 6th floor room. Even after icing and elevating, my ankle was the size of a tennis ball and I eventually fell asleep to get rid of the pain. The next day Allie and Nikki helped me hobble to the SHC yet again, where I was put in a wheelchair and had even more x-rays taken. Although it wasn't broken, it was deemed a level 9 sprain, which is worse than a break and takes longer to recover. The bruising and swelling still aren't gone, although some days are better than others. I have yet to regain full movement, and have recently had to start wearing the brace again for more support.



The grand total of my health expenses from last year is well over $1000. I hope no other freshman ever has to endure the same poor health I did.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my god, I still do not know any one who had gone through anything close to what you have.. It's insanely scary just imagining all those bites and - it's just... whoa O_O;

    Lily

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I hope nobody ever does! It didn't make for the best freshmen year, but I'm glad this year is much better!

    :)

    ReplyDelete